2.1 Information We Collect
We automatically collect several categories of information, including IP address, date and time of visit, and which pages you visit on our site.
Analytics companies may use this information as well, typically in aggregate, to determine, for example, which web pages get the most or least traffic.
When you access this website, we automatically collect several categories of information, including the following:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address (a unique set of numbers and/or letters that generally identifies the network from which devices access the internet)
- The referring address, if any (this would tell us the address of the website you used to get to sccgov.org, such as through a Google search or link)
- The size and resolution of your monitor and the size of the browser window
- The type of browser (e.g., Firefox, Edge, Chrome) used to access our site
- The operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac OS, Unix) used to access our site
- The city in which your IP address originates
- The date and time of your visit, and the total time you spend on the site
- The time you spend on each page and in what order those pages were visited
- The internal links you click
We provide this information to analytics companies including Siteimprove and Google Analytics. They typically aggregate the information and present it in a format that allows us to quickly determine how many people are visiting the site, which pages are most popular, and other similar information.
2.1.1 User Tracking
We do use website tracking technologies, such as cookies and pixels, to track visitors to the website. Other third-party services on our site may do so as well.
We obtain some of the information described in Section 2.1 by using website tracking technologies to track your visit, which may include cookies, pixels, tags, beacons, and similar technologies. These technologies allow us to provide website functionality and understand how you interact with the sccgov.org website.
We also embed some content on our site using third-party web widgets and services such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Flickr. These third parties may set their own cookies and similar technologies for functional and tracking purposes. They may have their own privacy, security, terms of service, and accessibility policies applicable to the features they provide. For more information about third-party services and their policies, please visit their websites.
2.1.2 Why We Collect This Information
We typically use this information to help understand how users interact with the website, to maintain its functionality, and improve the user experience.
We automatically collect this information typically in order to understand how users interact with our website and promote its functionality. For example, cookies and similar technologies can tell us the number of visitors the website receives, whether and how often individuals return, and what they look for when they arrive. This helps us understand what people are looking for, which web pages are most useful, and other similar information that we can use to improve the experience of visiting sccgov.org. Cookies also help us maintain communication between visitors’ computers and County servers.
2.2 Information You Voluntarily Share
You can choose to share other kinds of information such as by filling out forms or paying for County services.
In the course of accessing this website, you will have many opportunities to voluntarily share information with us. For example, you may provide credit card or bank information when you pay your property taxes; or your name and contact information when you book a campsite; or providing your name, email, and address to receive a newsletter or other correspondence and interactions.
2.2.1 Categories of Information
This information includes email addresses and payment details, among other categories.
Depending on the transaction or service requested, the categories of information that you might share may include, but are not limited to:
- Your email address and contents of the email
- Financial information such as credit card or bank account numbers (e.g., to process payments for County services)
- Social services details, such as seeking information on becoming a foster parent
- Public safety information, such as paying a parking ticket
- Other information that may be collected through an online form
2.2.2 Why We Ask You to Share This Information
This information allows us to complete your online requests and transactions more efficiently.
This information is used to fulfill the purpose for which you are providing the information, such as to complete your transaction or route requests to the appropriate department.